Friday, January 15, 2010

Chicken Chili


Everybody makes their chili differently.  This is my favorite way:

-diced chicken breast (I like to use rotisserie chicken)
-1 yellow onion, diced
-1 red bell pepper, diced
-2 cloves of garlic, diced
-1 can petite diced tomatoes
-1 can chili beans
-1 can white corn, drained
-about 1-2 cup(s) of spaghetti sauce (I like Hunt's Four Cheese)
-about 1 cup of chicken broth (give or take)
-about 1-2 tsps of cumin
-about 1-2 tblsps of chili powder
(or you just use a packet of chili powder mix, like McCormick's)
-a few splashes of hot sauce
-red pepper flakes (to taste)

You can make this in a crock pot or a dutch oven/large pot on the stove:
1.  Coat the bottom of the pot with 2 tblsp of olive oil.
2.  Sautee the onions, red pepper and garlic for about five minutes.
3.  Add the chicken, tomatoes, corn, beans, tomato sauce, broth and stir
4.  Add the spices, hot sauce and chili flakes and stir.
5.  Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low for at least an hour (in crockpot, set on high for a few hours)
6.  Serve topped with cheese and with chips

I make this chili a lot!  I love to eat it as leftovers because it's always better the next day.  By the third day, if there is any leftover, I try to get creative with it and put it over fries or spaghetti.  I love to eat this, though, because it's actually really healthy for you and because you can change it anyway you want to.  Sometimes I substitute black beans or add yellow/orange peppers.  Sometimes I make it with ground beef or turkey, but chicken is my favorite.

No comments:

Post a Comment